Launching telnet & tn3270 clients from newer browsers

David Atkins atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Sun May 31 16:03:30 EDT 1998

Thanks to all the folks who offered ideas on solving our problem
(autoconnecting to tn3270:// hosts as a Netscape 4.05 mime type).

Here's what works.  NS-HELP is a great little widget that makes the
connection between the latest web browsers and telnet clients.  Check out
http://www.louisville.edu/~mopurc01/ns-help.html for all you need to know
to fix the problem.  This go-between handles both telnet & tn3270 clients.
We're currently running Ewan 1.052 & QWS3270 3.2f on both NT & Win95 PCs.

As a corallary & for those who desire more info on the future fate of
QWS freeware & the need for this workaround, please see the message
attached below.

Thanks,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Resources Librarian
John C. Hodges Library                   atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu
The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242