Telnet in Internet Explorer 4.0

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun May 31 09:59:42 EDT 1998

> Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 21:37:05 -0400
> From: "Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>
> To: <smithj at pls.lib.ca.us>,
> Subject: Re: Telnet in Internet Explorer 4.0
>
> In Win95 and NT4, both MSIE and Netscape 4.x refer to the system's "File
> Type" association for "URL: Telnet Protocol".  I see there has already
been
> a post on how one telnet app can set this itself; the more general way to
do
> it is to open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go to
> View/Options/File Types.
>
> Thomas Dowling
> Ohio Library and Information Network
> tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Yes, but unfortunately there are additional complexities related to argument
passing (esp if you want to be able to use telnet URLs that specify
alternate ports).  If someone actually gets a cookbook that works for a wide
variety of alternative telnets and for both MSIE4 and NS4, this would be a
useful addition to the FAQ.

Despite my early claims on this list to the contrary, I haven't been able to
come up with a general solution, even using intermediary batch files.

Also, a related question:  the default is to invoke RUNDLL32 with arg
TelnetProtocolHandler.  Is there a registry setting that changes
TelnetProtocolHandler so that the "URL: Telnet Protocol" can be left
untouched, but the action that the DLL performs is changed?

JQ Johnson                      office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 541-346-1746 (v) -3485 (fax)
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/