cache clearing

Jeff Bobicki bobicki at amigo.net
Fri May 29 17:24:37 EDT 1998

Hi Lin ...

You have a great idea here ... a little glitch though. The batch file
"assumes" the locations you specify. In the case of the Netscape Cache, it
usually does not reside in the location you use ... it lives mostly in:

c:\progra~1\Netscape\Users\Default\Cache

and the cache for IE usually lives in:

c:\Windows\Tempor~1\

Contrary to popular beliefs, the existence of the Cache does considerably
improve the performance of these browsers. I advise against the wholesale
"dumping of the cache".

When I designed Librowse, this was a major issue and I had several
libraries participate in a study where some "dumped the cache" and some did
not. In every case, the dumped cache users had to reload images from the
net while the others used cached images. The cached users had consistently
faster response and were generally happier.

This is particularly useful for schools that often re-visit a site for each
class during a schoolday. If the cache is working correctly, it GREATLY
minimizes net time and improves the experience.

Best Regards

Jeff Bobicki
Technical Consultant  Colorado Southwest Regional Library System
http://home.amigo.net/bobicki/