Web terminology

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri May 29 14:47:46 EDT 1998

>On Thu, 28 May 1998, Sloan, Bernie wrote:
>
>> What do you call those sites that basically consist of
>> links to other useful sites? They can be annotated (like
>> the Librarians' Index to the Internet), or simply lists of
>> unannotated links.
>

>Well, the first thing that comes to mind is content-poor. Actually, we
>call them 'links-to-still-more-links' vs. content-rich.

We actually spent a fair bit of time surfing and sifting to determine what
is on the internet so that we could decide what we wanted to do with it. We
came up with these application types:
resources, references, projects, activities, tools, and games. A list of
links would be a resource, more specifically a hotlist and they do serve an
important job. For more info see our Brief Definition of Application Types
(http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/bluewebn/apptypes.html) or for a slightly
more indepth look, see the article that was published in Compton's New
Media on America Online, "What's ont he Web"
(http://edweb.sdsu.edu/edfirst/courses/WebCUE.html).  To create your own
Hotlists, TreasureHunts, WebQuests, Electronic Samplers, and Scrapbooks,
try using Filamentality (http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/fil)

Linda Woods Hyman
Pacific Bell Education First
Dept. of Educational Technology