IE's Active Desktop on Public Stations?

Kevin Stevens kstevens at pratt.edu
Wed May 27 11:18:50 EDT 1998

I have avoided using the Active Desktop on public workstations.  I
experimented with it for a while but found it to be unreliable.  On some
systems it caused frequent crashes.  Microsoft may have worked the kinks out
of it since then.  It really isn't an issue for workstations that are
configured in a way that does not allow user access to the desktop.

Locking down machines with the Active Desktop may be more difficult than a
standard install.  With browser components integrated into the operating
system, applications such as WinSelect and Cooler (at least the versions
I've used) are severely limited in their ability to restrict access to
configuration options.  This is an important thing to consider before
rushing out to buy Win98 when it's released next month.  The Active Desktop
is a part of the Win98 OS, like it or not.

That having been said, the concept of integrating Web functionality with the
desktop interface has a lot of potential.  I would be interested in hearing
from folks who have used the features of Active Desktop to their advantage
on public workstation configurations.

Kevin Stevens
Computing Systems Mgr.
Pratt Institute Libraries