Increasing Access to the Internet

David Bevington dbevington at unam.na
Mon May 18 11:12:06 EDT 1998

Nicole Bossard (Kate Bronislawski) wrote:

> Hello List Members,
> Please put your thinking caps on for this one.   I administer  a listserv for
> an organization that supports local communities to create comprehensive
> integrated systems of care for children/youth with special needs and
> their families.  Our listserv is in the beginning stages, and not getting
> great response from our members.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> Many of our members don't have access to email and
> the Web from their homes.  Can you all provide some suggestions on
> how our members, from all over the country, might be able to access
> these electronic resources from libraries?

Similiar to the free accounts already mentioned is Emurl. This provides the same
service but can be hosted locally. The advertisements can also be hosted locally
and 14 days free download trial is availble. Requires Windows NT4.0 plus MSIIS
version 3.0 or 4.0. I haven't tried it but am considering recommending it to our
University computer centre.

Why?

Our students are not given email accounts and many have got hotmail accounts
instead. Using the library Interent workstations they collect/reply to their
email. This program appears like it might allow us to offer the same service but
locally. We don't know many studetns email and so can't email our largest
customer base.

The UK URL is:
http://www.cloud-nine.co.uk/slmail/emurl.htm

It costs GBP 280 for an umlimited server. Made by a group called Seattle Labs.
Has anyone else heard of or tried this product?

--
David

David
Bevington