ADA pages

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Fri May 15 22:13:05 EDT 1998

    Seems to me it is as much (or more!) a case of the station/equipment
  the user has as the way you design your page...is your visually
  impaired patron using a speech synthesizer? or the PWSpeak browser?
  To recap our work..we visited Seeing Eye Institute which advised
  that Lynx and a speech synthesizer is their preferred web access
  (in fact, what they use in their tech lab). In discussion with
  CP patron, key elements are track ball vs mouse and screen angle
  relative to head positioning and wheel chair height. We were just
  called a few days ago by local CP Society, who wanted to know
  if we had handicapped Net access ..told a colleague here that to
  me ADA access meant a station roomy enough for patron and attendant
  and, if necessary, a staff member who would assist, guide, do any
  Net retrieval, if necessary. How to design an  ADA complaint
  page when you have no idea what adaptive technologies the user/viewer
  is using?? For the nonce, here, as considerately as possible and
with the help of Bobby and by "reading" the page in a voice utility before we
post it.