Conter used in Not Just Cows

John M. Morris jmorris at dtx.net
Fri May 15 16:43:03 EDT 1998

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Bill Drew wrote:

> They place a small banner addin the counter graphic.  There are
> different counters for different communities (targeted advertising).  I
> put mine at the bottom of my NJC page.  Very non-intrusive but very
> useful information without having to use access logs.  This shows that
> counters can be useful.

I don't see the usefullness of an outside counter personally, they are
chronically inaccurate, slow, and have an ad.  (taking off my library
webmeister hat: I ain't giving some clown a free banner ad in exchange for
something as trivial as a counter!  They want an ad they can bring their
checkbook.  Ok, so call be a mercenary. <grin>) count.cgi is free, easy to
install and runs on any platform that a sensible person would use for a
webserver.  As for access stats, that is why they call it the ACCESS LOG.
:)  Grind em into whatever sort of shape you want with a few trivial Perl
scripts and you get exactly what you want.  If you want graphics, write
out ascii delimited text and import it into GNUPlot, Applix or Lotus-123.

John M.      http://www.dtx.net/~jmorris         This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W+ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r%