Charismatic library speaker needed

moe1 at cornell.edu moe1 at cornell.edu
Fri May 15 14:27:50 EDT 1998

Folks,

Help.  I need to recommend a speaker for a plenary session on the fourth
day of a week-long seminar on new technologies for teaching and research
for humanities graduate students.  The date is Thursday, June 11, and that
day is dedicated to presenting the state of the art in libraries.  Gregory
Crane is speaking on Monday and showing the Perseus project; at last
year's seminar he was a big hit, combining as he does, scholarly
background in the classics, a thorough knowledge of an amazing and
extensive Web site, and a lively sense of humor. The focus is on
graduate-level research and teaching in universities where a significant
number of the grad students are headed for faculty positions in those same
kinds of universities around the U.S.

I'm looking for someone from the library community who can talk about the
new ways we are developing of organizing and searching for scholarly
materials, new ways of presenting primary and research resources, and how
we're using technology in libraries in exciting ways to enhance teaching
and research.  Someone who is intimately familiar with graduate research
in the humanities, knows the new tools, is technically saavy, and excited
about the future--where we're going in academic libraries.  I'd really
like to get someone who is as excited about libraries as Gregory is about
Perseus.

The seminar is at Princeton, so someone from the east coast would
probably be better, but I'd really like any and all suggestions.

Please send your suggestions directly to me and thanks in advance.

If you'd like more information about the seminar, last year's Web site
is at http://www.library.cornell.edu/okuref/nttr/nttr2.html .  The Web
site for this year's seminar is just being assembled.

Michael Engle
Electronic Text Coordinator
Cornell University Library
moe1 at cornell.edu