Increasing Net Access and drawbacks

Anna Garoufalis agarou at LIB1.Lan.McGill.CA
Wed May 13 11:13:40 EDT 1998

Hello.

Getting free Web based e-mail accounts is an option; however, there is another
drawback to this type of "public" e-mail: anyone sitting at a public workstation
can easily retrieve and read someone else's messages simply by clicking on the
browser's "Go" menu and selecting the appropriate page from the history list.
(Clearing the caches or exiting the browser helps reduce this possibility).

Anna Garoufalis

               _________________________

On Tue, 12 May  jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca wrote:

> A solution of last resort might be the free e-mail accounts on Web
> Sites...

[snip]

> Any one with access to a Web Browser such as Netscape, Explorer,
> Mosaic, etc., in a library, school, Internet cafe, anywhere in the
> world could access their e-mail.
>
> There are "some" drawbacks to this type of e-mail.  The most obvious
> is the deluge of advertisements which must be endured.  The second
> is download limits.  Anyone who signed up for a list then didn't
> check their mail for a long time might "loose" many of their
> messages because their electronic mail box was full.
>
> As well, these sites can be very slow at peak times.
                    _________________________

On Tue, 12 May 1998,  BRONISLK at gunet.georgetown.edu wrote:

[snip]

> >Here's the problem:
> >
> >Many of our members don't have access to email and
> >the Web from their homes.  Can you all provide some suggestions on
> >how our members, from all over the country, might be able to access
> >these electronic resources from libraries?
> >
> >Any information/suggestions would be very helpful.

Anna Garoufalis
Information Services Librarian
Health Sciences Library, McGill University
3655 Drummond St.
Montreal, Quebec   H3G 1Y6 Canada
Tel: (514) 398-4475 ext. 094166
Fax: (514) 398-3890