Increasing Access to the Internet

John_Goldsmith jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca
Tue May 12 15:13:58 EDT 1998

Hi Nicole,

A solution of last resort might be the free e-mail accounts on Web Sites
such as AltaVista (http://www.altavista.digital.com), Excite
(http://www.excite.com) and Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com) - to name a few.
Any one with access to a Web Browser such as Netscape, Explorer, Mosaic,
etc., in a library, school, Internet cafe, anywhere in the world could
access their e-mail.

There are "some" drawbacks to this type of e-mail.  The most obvious is the
deluge of advertisements which must be endured.  The second is download
limits.  Anyone who signed up for a list then didn't check their mail for a
long time might "loose" many of their messages because their electronic
mail box was full.

As well, these sites can be very slow at peak times.

How that helps.

>Hello List Members,
>Please put your thinking caps on for this one.   I administer  a listserv for
>an organization that supports local communities to create comprehensive
>integrated systems of care for children/youth with special needs and
>their families.  Our listserv is in the beginning stages, and not getting
>great response from our members.
>
>Here's the problem:
>
>Many of our members don't have access to email and
>the Web from their homes.  Can you all provide some suggestions on
>how our members, from all over the country, might be able to access
>these electronic resources from libraries?
>
>Any information/suggestions would be very helpful.
>
>Thanks,
>Nicole

John Goldsmith,   Fraser Valley Distance Education School
49520 Prairie Central Road, Chilliwack, BC/Canada  V2P 6H3
Phone:(604) 794-7310/Loc 283    Fax:(604) 795-8480
http://www.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca   e-mail: jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca