Web terminology

Steve Mitchell smitch at ucrac1.ucr.edu
Thu May 28 16:59:17 EDT 1998

> > I have a (probably dumb) question about terminology.....
> >
> > What do you call those sites that basically consist of
> > links to other useful sites? They can be annotated (like
> > the Librarians' Index to the Internet), or simply lists of
> > unannotated links.

Well, heck, why not, eh. I have to say that most of us at INFOMINE
(lib-www.ucr.edu) retain an old-fashioned fondness for the term "virtual
library". I'm not sure why this is though in that many of the patrons in
our not-so-virtual library don't really know what this means. So, when I
get that Ophan Annie,
wide-eyed look as a response to explaining INFOMINE as a "virtual library"
I usually quickly shift  gears into "subject...list, index and/or guide".
Note that we DO NOT use "internet finding tool" except in grant proposals...

FYI,

Steve Mitchell
INFOMINE Co-coordinator and
Science Reference Librarian