LII Stats Correction (was Re: Web terminology)

Carole Leita leita at netcom.com
Thu May 28 15:39:37 EDT 1998

>As coordinator of the LII I can tell you that the Librarians' Index to the
>Internet's database of 3400 annotated entries is about 25% subject guides;
>55% reference works (content that will directly answer the user's question)
>and 20% specialized databases.

After sending off the above I decided I shouldn't be guessing when I had
the tools to do a count. So I went in and used grep to count by category
and was pleasantly surprised to find the actual percentages are:

15% - Subject Guides (called Directories in the LII)
10% - Specialized Databases (called Databases in the LII)
75% - Reference Works (called Specific Resources in the LII)

Carole
Carole Leita, leita at netcom.com
Librarians' Index to the Internet Coordinator
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex/