Computer Screens and Colors

kgreen at plainfield.lib.in.us kgreen at plainfield.lib.in.us
Thu May 28 11:29:02 EDT 1998

We keep most of our screens (13"-14") set to 800x600, and all of them at hi-color (16bit). Good image quality is
one of the benefits of having better computers (Software producers who require 256 color need to rethink their
product).  As for text viewing, the default font size can be changed in Netscape (Options\General settings  in 3.x,
Edit\Preferences in 4.x). In Netscape 4.x the font size can be changed from the View menu also. While our video
cards are pretty even in quality, our monitors range from pretty good to real junk, so I try to keep font sizes at an
optimum for each one.

When working with images for web pages, remember that complex images, like photos, work best as jpegs, while
images with large blocks of color in them (backgrounds, banners) work best (are smallest) as gifs, and can
usually be rendered with the color-safe (256 color) palette. Save an image in both formats and check the file size.
Kerry Green
Plainfield Public Library
1120 Stafford Road
Plainfield, IN 46168