IP and port numbers

Kirk_Nims at michcon.com Kirk_Nims at michcon.com
Thu May 28 09:23:41 EDT 1998

On 5/28 Nick said.-

Since z39.50 is not widely used, your firewall is probably blocking port
210, preventing sysetms outside the firewall from connecting inside via
that port.  If everything was working prior to installing the firewall,
chances are you just need to change the firewall configuration to stop
filtering port 210.

-----------------------

This is my very problem.  Our security and network folks are affraid to
open ports 210 and 2210 for outbound traffic so I can use z39.50 through
our firewall.  Does anyone comprehend the security risks of enabling
traffic over ports 210 and 2210 to support z39.50 activity?  I posted this
question several weeks ago and had virtually no input.

TIA

Kirk Nims
Librarian
Michigan Consolidated Gas Co.