How to diable Netscape Security Button

Tim Kambitsch kambitsch at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US
Mon May 4 12:46:23 EDT 1998

James Cayz wrote:

> All,
>         The Netscape Security Button is particularly insidious.

<stuff deleted>

>        So, I guess the question still stands - any way to kill _just_ the
> button (not the whole bar), or make the file it affects unchangeable, even
> to Netscape?

I don't know how to kill just a button within Netscape, but here is an
alternative way to control the security and certificate information:

If you are really crazy like me and you use a C++ resource editor, and you dig
really deep into Netscape's  resdll.dll file under the resource called STRING
TABLE.  You will find some imbedded HTML tags and other strings that are used to
generate each of the Security links found when you open the security button.
(i.e. Javascript, Certificates, Cryptogrphic Modules, etc.)  They have ids in
the String Table in the range of  31521-31550 in Netscape Navigator Standalone
v.4.04.  If you replace the caption with a commented out caption, then the
securuity choices are hidden from the user since those strings are a part of a
generated html window.

For instance try changing string id for the value 31527

From:    Certificates
To:        <!--Certificates-->

When you re-open the broswer with this change in effect.  Certificates is no
longer a choice.  I removed all options except "Security Info" but I also found
somewhere the
html string for the button "Get Certificates."  So what's left if a pretty bland
list display.

Does this make Netscape unstable?  I don't know.  Would I really recommend this
to everyone?  Probably not.  Am I using this?  Yep, on about 65 workstations.. .

Visit:
               http://www.dayton.lib.oh.us/~kambitsch/netscape-hacks.html

This has more tips on how to abuse Netscape.

Tim Kambitsch
Dayton & Montgomery County Public Library