Highly Recommended Internet "How-to" Guide

arqinfo at shore.net arqinfo at shore.net
Fri May 1 18:45:23 EDT 1998

I've just read a book that helped me a lot and so wanted to pass the
word along.

I'm a librarian in a fairly small library, and was a bit intimidated by
the prospect of establishing Internet access, using the Internet, and
designing a library Website.  Then I read a book from Neal-Schuman, "The
Complete Internet Companion for Librarians" and I felt so much more
confident about these undertakings that I felt compelled to share it
with the list.  This is a book written by a librarian (Allen C.
Benson)for librarians and although it assumes a basic level of technical
knowledge, is easy-to-understand and quite comprehensive.

I have never seen any other book that combines so many "hot" Internet
topics in one place. In addition to providing background info, it tells
you what you need to do to connect to the Internet, suggests what
hardware and software to use, explains how to use the Web and other
Internet resources once you are up and running (including e-mail) and
even includes the basics of designing your own Website! It was so
convenient to find all this information in one book. I hope it helps
some of you as much as it has helped me.

Bernadette Frances