Of Firewalls And Pricetags

Thomas Edelblute tedelblu at usiu.edu
Tue Mar 31 18:01:53 EST 1998

>We're ready to offer up our home page on our own computers via the
>beloved Apache web server.  However, I'm balking at firewall pricetags.
>Is anyone using reliable security software at a reasonable price?
>Other solutions to security?
>
>Thanks
>JP
>
>--
>Jeff Papier
>Network / Internet Librarian
>South Brunswick Public Library
>Monmouth Junction, NJ

The way one security expert described firewalls to me as "any devide that
comes between the data you want to protect and the outside world."  You can
even configure your router to block certain types of Internet traffic.  If
you are using a Cisco router you might want to change the default password
to something other than "cisco".

Now you say you are offering your web page to the outside world.  It would
seem to me that in the scheme of things, you would want to have the Apache
web server available to the outside world, your inhouse stuff on a seperate
network, and a firewall in-between the two.  But I do not know how you are
set up.

Just my 2 cents, which is overcharge for this opinion.

Thomas Edelblute
Systems Librarian
United States International University
10455 Pomerado Rd.