Alexa and copyright

Clay Johnson cjoh3866 at uriacc.uri.edu
Fri Mar 27 21:11:51 EST 1998

This may sound over-accusational on Alexa's behalf, but has anyone checked
alexa's suggested sites, and their real relevance to the site visited,
relative to their placement in comparative categories in Yahoo?

For instance point your browser to http://www.humansearch.com , crank up
Alexa, and make note of the suggested 'where to go next links.' You'll
notice something odd, when you see that most of these links start with
numbers or letters at the beginning of the alphabet. Then, go to where
HumanSearch is listed in Yahoo,
http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Searchin
g_the_Web/Search_Engines/

Dare I say that Alexa simply searches through Yahoo for the domain of the
referring page, and gives the first few links in the category of which it
is in?