Alexa and copyright

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Thu Mar 26 11:45:49 EST 1998

> This practice strikes me as the largest violation of intellectual
> property rights and copyright law in the history of civilization.
> But then I'm not a lawyer, just a librarian and Web publisher.
> Alexa did not ask my permission to archive my Web sites, nor to
> republish them on demand even when I withdraw pages from
> publication.

Did you actually ask Alexa to remove your pages and be told they
wouldn't? If so, I'm surprised. I believe Alexa gets around the
copyright concerns by agreeing not to index any page if a site owner
has objections. Primarily, they do this through the use of the
robots.txt file.

Also, while Alexa started as an archiving project, most people are
raving about the site discovery service it offers. Should the
copyright issue really become a concern, Alexa could easily drop it
and continue on in popularity, in my opinion.