Chat: another view -Reply

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Mar 25 18:03:50 EST 1998

Another reply, Belk Library does not have a policy on chat but there is a
University Computer Policy that addresses the use of chat.  It does not forbid
chat in general but does address "idle chat".  Now theres a sticky wicket,
where is the idle line drawn and by whom?  Below is the excerpt from the
Computer Usage Policy at
http://www2.acs.appstate.edu/computer.htm

D. Users may neither prevent others from accessing the system nor unreasonably
slow down the system by deliberately running wasteful jobs, playing games,
engaging in non-productive or idle chatting, or sending mass mailings or chain
letters.

Thomas

Wilfred Drew wrote:

> No one is discounting the value of chat as a learning tool.  The real
> question is what is the prefered use of a scarce resource (microcomputers
> in the library connected to the Internet) on one part of a campus as
> cpmpared to another part.  This is not a case where one answer fits all
> situations.  We simply do not have enough machines to allow chat to go on.
> It is entirely a judgement call that each library must make.  There is no
> right or wrong involved here.
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
> Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
> LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
> Support the North East Dairy Compact. Help the family dairy farm survive.
> --

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received