Family TreeMaker CD and internet access

Sherrida_Crawford crawford at grits.valdosta.peachnet.edu
Mon Mar 23 15:46:57 EST 1998

The library has a non-networked workstation designated for the Family
TreeMaker CD set and some other (stand-alone) CD products.  Family
TreeMaker has a website that can be used in conjunction with the CD
product.  The library is reluctant to add internet access to the CD
workstation, because we believe it will exacerbate queuing problems for
the workstation in relation to internet access to the point of excluding
access to the CD titles, including Family TreeMaker. We presently have
many other workstations with internet access in the library, yet
experience peak usage periods, when user demands exceed internet
workstation availability.

I'm assuming that the Family TreeMaker CD product is probably not unique
in pointing to an associated website.  Short of enforcing time limits and
having to sign-up for the CD workstion, are there other library solutions?

Sherrida J. Crawford,                    (912)  333-5872
Automated Systems Coordinator       FAX  (912)  333-5862
Odum Library
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698

crawford at valdosta.edu