Apache vs. SSI

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Wed Mar 18 17:31:11 EST 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> Let me throw an odd problem out for any serious Apache jockeys out there.
>
> We're in the process of bringing up a Web site that uses server-side
> includes in every page.  The pages are all generated by third-party
> software.  The SSI's were being correctly parsed by Apache 1.3b5 two weeks
> ago; then we suffered a catastrophic disk crash.  We have reconstructed the
> disk and reloaded most of the data.  But when we generate the HTML pages
> from the same software and view them under the same copy of Apache, the
> SSI's are no longer being parsed.  Neither Apache nor the third-party
> software was affected by the crash, so these are literally the same copies
> that were in place two weeks ago.
>
> The SSI's are also not parsed if I use Apache 1.2.5 instead of 1.3b5.  They
> are parsed if I use Netscape Enterprise, but our experience is that Apache
> is much more stable.
>
> srm.conf includes:
>
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddHandler server-parsed .html .shtml
>

> Can anyone tell me what I'm overlooking?

Thomas,

Are Includes or IncludesNOEXEC enabled either in a Directory,
Location, or VirtualHost directive controlling the documents you want
parsed, or in an access file in the data directories?  An access file
(e.g. .htaccess) in the directory from which the pages are being served
might have been affected by a disk crash that left the other filesystems
untouched.

Also, if you are using .htaccess files to enable includes, is Options
among the AllowOverrides in the access.conf file?

Just a couple of possibilities.

Chuck

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian