Customizing Netscape

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Mar 17 15:17:21 EST 1998

I am filling out the application to be able to download the client
customization kit.  I talked to Melissa Attard, the Netscape Educational Sales
rep, who told me that the kit will be available sometime this week.  The new
agreement superceedes the Educational Right to Copy agreement, for client
software only, which means that sometime in the future Navigator may not be
free dependent on how Microsoft distributes their browser as seen from this
snippet of the agreement:

"... this Agreement shall remain in effect only until such time as Microsoft
Corporation ceases to distribute free of charge products with features
comparable to the Netscape client products."    :)

Talk about your browser wars(no no, please don't).  Well I'm jumping in an
attemp to avoid a $500.00 purchase I was getting ready to turn in for Mission
Control by Netscape (Thanx Andrew).  I'll report on the progress as we are
using Navigator as our front-end public client access for all of our products.

Thomas

Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> For those libraries that serve as ISP's and those who are more adventurous
> about customizing Netscape, this announcement should be of interest.
> Netscape has released a Client Customization Kit which allows you to add
> your logo, customize bookmarks, and other goodies to tailor Navigator more
> towards your needs.  If anyone takes this project on, post your results to
> the list for those of us who are interested but not completely ready to
> jump off the deep end!
>
> See the announcement at:
>
> http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease581.html?cp=nws03flh4
>
> Andrew Mutch
> Northville District Library
> Northville, MI

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2795   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received