double-clickers

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Mon Mar 16 16:19:35 EST 1998

>	I think you've hit the nail on the head. The rule of
>	thumb I try to communicate--even though I know there are
>	lots and lots of exceptions--is that they should use
>	double-clicks to START programs, but SINGLE clicks to
>	issue commands to programs that are already running.

It may be too late to bother trying to teach new tricks, but you might
consider using a menu-driven system.  The only computers we've put out for
public use implement either Bardon's WinU (which provides large, friendly
buttons that require one click), or Apple's EasyAccess (which provides a
VERY similar interface, along with limited security) or the MacOS Launcher
Control Panel (again, the same kind of one-click big buttons).