Why double-clicking in browsers?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Mar 16 07:55:00 EST 1998

Craig Murray wrote:

> > > Is it just that enough computer instructors/saavy friends/librarians/etc.
> > > have hammered into them the idea that you have to double-click to start
> > > programs and that you can double-click as a shortcut for closing windows
> > > and choosing files?
> >
> > "STOP DOUBLE CLICKING!!!" uttered in anguished frustration usually does
> > the trick.  If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Help is at hand! Windows 98 (I have beta 3) has a nifty feature which allows
> files, menus, windows etc. to be open with only one click. However, the double
> clicking problem will still occur because not everyone will update to Win 98.

This is already available to Win95 and NT 4.0 users as part of the
desktop integration in IE4.  IMO it is about the most disorienting thing
you can do to people who have any experience using Windows desktops.  I
note that this is Microsoft's attempt to solve the opposite of the
problem originally posted: that some users have single-clicking so
ingrained from Web browsing that they don't get the  double-clicking
needed for desktop management.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu