Kim's Play Pen and counters

John Walker jwalker at networx.on.ca
Thu Mar 12 15:36:31 EST 1998

At 10:23 AM 3/12/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>Kim's Play Page at http://www.lib.umt.edu/dept/ref/play.htm
>>
>>and others.
>>
>>Downloading the source code for the hit counter from my page
>>
>>http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker
>>
>>creates problems for me if the code is not modified to match your site.
>>

>So this free counter:
>
>  Doesn't record hits from people with images turned off

Right. I believe that increasing the count by about 25%
would cover this. The other way to do this would be by cgi
script which would really waste bandwidth and slow loading
of the page.

>  DOES record hits from other pages that inadvertantly
>    copy your link too literally

Right. But then it's never a good idea to remove code
from someone else's page if you're not sure what you're
doing.

>  Forces a cheesy, non-targeted banner ad on each of
>    your pages

You forgot the free part. If someone is going to do this much
for me then I certainly don't mind doing something for them. Of
course some people who are morally challenged would simply hide
the banner.

>  Tells you nothing about where hits are coming from

I do not wish to invade my visitor's privacy to that degree. I
find that quite a few send me a note to comment on the site
which gives me an overall view of where the hits are coming
from.

>Exactly how much does your ISP charge you to sneak a peek at the server
>logs?

On my budget, far too much for daily figures.

>Thomas Dowling
>OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
>tdowling at ohiolink.edu

BTW since posting the original message the playpen site has gone
from 1 to 33 hits. Nice to see the amount of interest this message
generated on this list. I just wish that the owner of the site
had read it.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                        _/
_/        John S. Walker                                  _/
_/        Publisher, CSS Internet News (tm)               _/
_/        (Internet Training and Research)                _/
_/        PO Box 57247, Jackson Stn.,                     _/
_/        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 4X1              _/
_/  Email jwalker at networx.on.ca                           _/
_/        http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker               _/
_/        "To Teach is to touch a life forever"           _/
_/         On the Web one touch can reach so far!         _/