Include Statements and Updating Files

Paula Sillars libr043 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 12 15:37:40 EST 1998

We have just recently started using include statements for commonly
repeated elements within our web pages. This will hopefully save us
a lot of time with constant updating elements like navigation
buttons etc.

The problem comes when our staff wish to update a file. Usually they
save the document source in Netscape Navigator (version 2.02 for OS/2),
edit it and then send it to me to put up on the server.

Unfortunately with include statements these get substituted with the
text that should be included so when I receive the file for
updating, I need to edit out the code that shouldn't be there and
put the include statements back in.

An example of one of our pages with three include statements is http://library.canterbury.ac.nz/serials/ej/biology.shtml

Can anyone suggest a way of saving the file as it really is, with
include statements intact?

Thanks in advance.