Automation of inhouse reference files

Toth-Waddell at ontla.ola.org Toth-Waddell at ontla.ola.org
Wed Mar 11 15:14:18 EST 1998

I have just joined the list, so I apologize if this topic has been
previously discussed.

Our library has numerous in-house reference files, some of which we have
automated using the DOS version of Inmagic.  We are now interested in
converting these to windows and in exploring options for how to make
these databases available on an Intranet.

We are beginning to consider upgrading our integrated library system.
The question  is whether we should go ahead and find windows based
database software now that can be integrated into any new system we may
buy, or whether the new integrated library systems now on the market
will give us this capability.

Other questions are:

*	what software packages are libraries using to create inhouse web
ready databases?
*	are there any Intranet software packages we should be
considering?
*	are there any integrated library systems which allow libraries
to mount these reference databases along side of the OPAC on the web
(without first buying database software such as Inmagic)?  Do any of
them allow you to search all of these databases in one search instead of
repeating searches in the separate databases?

We would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.  Models to look
at would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Annemarie Toth-Waddell
Ontario Legislative Library