Cascading Style Sheets & Printing Problems

Donald Barclay donaldb at library.tmc.edu
Tue Mar 10 09:55:54 EST 1998

A colleague was using Netscape Communicator to access a webpage. Every time
he tried to print the page, he got an error message and had to close
Netscape. (He was using a 200 MHz Pentium computer.)

I saved the page he wanted to print, looked at the page source, and saw that
it used cascading style sheets. I removed the style sheet information from
the page source (it determined the font colors only,) and my colleague was
able to print the document without a problem. Could the cascading style
sheets have been the source of the printing problem or was this coincidence?

Am I right to be concerned about cascading style sheets? If style sheets can
mess up a high-end computer with a good connection to the web and a
late-model web browser, what are they going to do to all those folks out
there with average machines, ordinary modems, and older browsers?

Donald A. Barclay                          always the beautiful answer
Houston Academy of Medicine-               who asks the more beautiful question
Texas Medical Center Library                        --e.e. cummings
donaldb at library.tmc.edu