Need for a new list?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Fri Mar 6 13:11:14 EST 1998

To Web4Libers/

Bill Drew wrote:

> Laura Hudson's question raises one in my mind.  Is it time for a new
> discussion list on scripting and such for librarians?  I would envision
> such a list covering the use of perl, JavaScript, Java, and ActiveX for use
> in libraries.

     This is a great idea! It has been become clear to me that Java,
JavaScript. ActiveX,and the like are the next wave.

     Last year I requested information on current efforts to enhance
OPACs through the application of Java and the like. From this call
I've identified a few projects that I will be posting to a new
clearinghouse I call ... Coffee URN(sm)  [:->]. It will be available
at http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Coffee.htm
by mid-April.

    I would appreciate learning about a new inititatives that applied
Java, ActiveX, JAvaScript and the like to the OPAC environment.

   As always, any suggestions or comments are most welcome!

   Regards

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

           "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
                                      Attributed to Peter Drucker