HTML:lists

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafvax.lafayette.edu
Mon Mar 2 12:24:14 EST 1998

At 11:38 AM 3/2/98, Bill Frost wrote:

>Librarian has image problem.

No comment.

>I remember reading somewhere of a way (Netscape extension?) to substitute
>an image for the disc, circle, or square preceding items <LI>listed</LI>
>in an <UL>unordered</UL> list, but I found nothing in both paper and
>online HTML guides.

It's possible with Style Sheets, using the "list-style-image" property.
Unfortunately, this property has limited current support.  (Doesn't work in
Netscape yet; it's supposed to work in IE4).

To try it, pop the following into an HTML doc header:
<STYLE><!-- UL { list-style-image: url(http://somewhere.edu/image.gif) }
--></STYLE>
(Not sure if URL to image *has* to be absolute or not?)

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  Reference/Instruction Librarian
  David Bishop Skillman Library