chat and internet policy

Jennifer Long fmt008 at mail.connect.more.net
Tue Mar 24 18:01:43 EST 1998

Hello,
We began offering open internet access two years ago and have been refining
our policies ever since.  We started with a flexible 45 minute time limit
for all internet terminals, but soon we had patrons (both adults and
children) waiting (or vulturing as we affectionately called it) for the next
person to get up so they could continue with another 45 min.  Summertime was
especially troublesome, often patrons would be waiting outside the doors
before 9am and would stay until closing at 9pm.  We noticed that this often
scared away new internet users.

A few months ago we decided that we had to make a change.  We began limiting
all users to one session per day with a time limit of up to one hour.  They
must now sign up to use the terminals at the Reference desk.  There was
grumbling at first, but the Ref. staff and the patrons both like the new
policy.  The terminals are still busy from open to close, but now we are
able to accomodate more people; novices and experts.  We are interested in
limiting time, not content.

The latest addition to our policy was an age limit.  Recently two pieces of
legislation went before the Missouri General Assembly which would make
libraries responsible for anyone under 14 viewing pornography on a library
computer and would require libraries to purchase filtering software.  We
would like to avoid the latter, so in response to the former, we instituted
an age limit.  Those patrons 14 and older have a sticker on their library
card.  Anyone under 14 must present identification with their birthdate on
it, or have their parent/guardian sign a form giving their permission.  We
also redesigned our library card applications with this in mind.

So far we have had few problems and many compliments from concerned parents.
I'm sure this is not the end, but hopefully it's a good beginning.

Jennifer Long
Computer Services Assistant
Missouri River Regional Library
Jefferson City, MO  65109