Mac Question

Christopher Handy charta at inetdirect.net
Mon Jun 29 22:43:16 EDT 1998

On 6/29/98, Michael Dargan wrote:

|>Hello--
|>
|>I've been using Netscape Navigator "Standalone" 4.05 on Win95 machines
|>with good success.  I've had good luck disabling the preferences by
|>renaming prefui32.dll.  I've recently been assigned some very nice
|>donated Macintosh 7500s.  I've placed Nav. 4.05 Standalone on these
|>machines, but do not see how to disable preferences.  Is there a
|>Macintosh equivalant to my Win95 strategy?
|>
|>Thanks

If no simpler remedy comes to light, you might want to entirely remove the
Preferences option from Navigator's main menu bar with ResEdit. If you're
familiar with this utility, use it to open Navigator -- as always, be sure
to work on a copy, not the original -- and try deleting the Preferences
item found under the Edit icon labeled ID "301" in the "MENU" Resources.

I've used this technique successfully to alter other Navigator menu items
(although not this one in particular).

Chris
charta at inetdirect.net