Intranet Help

Deb Stuart dstuart at jcls.org
Mon Jun 29 15:35:40 EDT 1998

Hi,

I am working with a committee that is putting together our first county
wide intranet and have some questions for the list.  We know (or at least
THINK we know) the obvious things to post but if you have access to an
intranet, what are the most important sections that you use?

Also, do any of your Intranets allow for a personal bulletin board?  I mean
one where staff could put items for sale, or mention an upcoming non-work
related event such as a garage sale, or even just announce that "Mary's"
daughter is selling Girl Scout cookies?

How about a union section?  Do any Intranets you know of allow union
members to maintain a page of union announcements, updates on bargaining,
etc.?

How is the administration of the your intranet handled?  I don't mean the
technical side, but are there policies that allow anyone to post data or
only supervisors or department heads?  Do you have disclaimers or standards
on what is posted?

As you can see, we want to make full use of our intranet but also want to
avoid major problems that maybe some of you have already dealt with.
Putting up our HR policies, job announcements, calendars, and such was an
easy decision but not so when it came to these other issues.  Any help you
can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Deb