Filtering discussion.

David Vaughan dvaughan at wentworth.library.on.ca
Wed Jun 24 10:48:09 EDT 1998

On the debate:

The problem with the debate is that it has become a highly unproductive
one on this list.  It is largely the same posters giving the same
opinions (and most of this debate is opinion, IMHO) and staking out the
same moral ground every time it comes up.  Perhaps the opinions of
frequent posters on this topic (such as David Burt and his foes) should
be collected into a FAQ that can be posted every time the debate erupts
so that they don't all have to rehash their old arguments.

On the issue being debated:

As a "techie" guy, I would be reluctant to allow any software on my
library's network whose basic functionality I could not control.
Therefore, while I may not actively oppose filtering, I would fight to
ensure that any filtering product we used had an open, customizable
filter list and features.  On a personal level, I think filtering may
have a place on machines dedicated to use by children (although I agree
with a number of other speakers that parental responsibility is the best
filter), but filters that block adult users from useful, important
information (such as gay/lesbian resources) have no place in a public
library.

David

David S. Vaughan, Systems Librarian         Phone: 905-546-4126 x36
Wentworth Libraries                                  Fax: 905-522-9083
Hamilton, ON, Canada

EMAIL: dvaughan at wentworth.library.on.ca

"Opinions expressed are those of David S. Vaughan, and do not
necessarily reflect those of his employer or other bodies with which he
is associated."