Filtering discussion.

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Wed Jun 24 09:16:19 EDT 1998

At 06:01 AM 6/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Roy, Ladies, Gentlemen -- Please!
>
>Can we _please_ return to a proper sense of decorum, scope, and _list
>topic_?
>
>Let us please keep whatever discussion we have on this topic on this list
>at the highest possible level possible!
>
>Thank you.

So, Kirk, what I hear you saying is -- without even getting into issues of
right or wrong - there are some things -- some types of communication --
some forms of information if you please --- that it is simply inappropriate
to display\provide in some settings.

BINGO! - that is exactly what many of us are trying to say about
obscenity\pornography in the library - or at least those parts of the
library accessible to children.

I don't care what anyone publishes - in print, on film, or on the web. And
it's really none of my business what someone chooses to spend their
personal private time and money looking at.

I --do-- care and it --is-- my business what the limited resources provided
by my tax dollars are used for and what type of atmosphere I have to live
and work in.  As a gentleman I am terribly embarrased and angered when lady
librarians and patrons are forced to sit at a station assisting a patron or
trying to study with men and boys on both sides of her oggling material
that I wouldn't even describe in mixed company.

In any town of any size there are places where people who desire this type
of  material can go get it.  If someone is old enough to use this type of
material they are old enough to work and earn the money to buy it.  If a
parent feels their child needs to be exposed to this material to learn
critical reasoning (or whatever) -- they are perfectly free to go buy it
and bring it home.

And just for the record - I am not some ancient prude or some young
innocent idealist - I am a 45 year old male with a healthy and diverse set
of 'interests'.  I have had more than my share of exposure to this type of
material and have yet to kill anyone.

BTW - As for filtering software - It is not the complete answer - mainly
because it can never keep up with the things that may need filtering.  The
answer has to include a well thought out  - clearly stated and consistantly
enforced appropriate use policy.

Getting off the soapbox now and leaving the mike -
Please  - go on with your debate -

Paul Gray
LR Manager
-
Opinions are my own - and all other standard disclaimers.