INTERNET FILTERING

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jun 23 21:01:53 EDT 1998

Michael wrote, "does anyone have a guideline as to how many bad blocks or
miscatagorizations are enough to warrant negligence?"

I won't touch that question, however interesting it is, but I know if
dozens of *books* were summarily removed from our library shelves by a
company interested in managing our collection, and we could not see what
titles were removed--let's say they were expunged from the OPAC, and all
acquisitions material was destroyed, and publishers' catalogs no longer
listed the items--I'd consider that a fairly far-reaching case of
censorship, regardless of how well-intended the company was.

Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield