Navigator 4.04 bombs Mac O/S

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Fri Jun 19 14:37:14 EDT 1998

We received some questions about our ILL home page (http://www.ill.vt.edu)
causing Mac O/S system crashes or browser crashes when you double-click a
link on our Web pages.

After testing with our pages and other framesets, we have determined the
following:

1.) Navigator 4.04 under Mac O/S 7.6.1 will shut down if you double-click a
link on a page displayed in a frame.

2.) Navigator 4.04 will bomb Mac O/S 7.5.5 under these conditions,
requiring a system reboot, though this may not happen every time you
double-click.

Navigator does not exhibit this behavior under Windows NT.

Of course, double-clicking isn't required on Web links, but lots of people
seem to do it.

Can some others verify this behavior, or point us to framesets where this
does not occur?

--Harry

Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu   540-231-7052   FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to learn."
                                                         - H. M. Kriz (1994)