Common bookmark file for group of networked pc's

Marsha Miller libmill at CML.INDSTATE.EDU
Thu Jun 11 21:29:30 EDT 1998

On  7 Jun 98 at 11:23, Charles P. Hobbs wrote:

What I'm considering is having all of the copies of Netscape point to
a common bookmark.htm file on one of the servers (by modifying the
netscape.ini file on each machine). This would make it easier to control
the size of the bookmark file, among other things.

Would there be a problem with file sharing, etc? Has anyone else here ever
tried this?

================
Since last August, the 50-60 terminals in our library share the same
bookmark file.  I get to update it (which of course I don't/can't
do as often as I like); I just go to the server directory and open
the Bookmark file as I would any bookmark file.  When I'm finished,
any reload of Netscape would bring up the newer file.  I have very
specific ideas in mind for these bookmarks.  If you want to see what
I have, we also keep them as a file on our resources page at
http://odin.indstate.edu/level1.dir/lio.dir/helpdx.html

Enjoy!

Marsha Miller, Instruction Librarian, DNRC
Indiana State University Libraries, Terre Haute IN  47809
Internet:  libmill at cml.indstate.edu
Phone:     812/237-2604          Fax: 812/237-2567
ISU Libraries Home page:  http://odin.indstate.edu/home.html

sooner or later, you'll find that all the questions can be answered
 by reading Nancy Drew or by watching Monty Python episodes!