Cookies?

Rici Lake rici at ssimicro.com
Tue Jun 9 06:39:13 EDT 1998

On Mon, 8 Jun 1988, Byron Mayes wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Michael Dargan wrote:
>
>> We're running Netscape Standalone 4.05 on Win95 workstations that are
>> under severe policy restrictions and Fortres 101.  I've disabled cookies
>> but am getting pressure from patrons who desire them.  I'm leery of
>> allowing them on public workstations.
>>
>> Am I being to fussy?  What would be the practical significance of
>> enabling cookies which are sent back to the server?
>
>Many sites that allow some form of interaction between *specific* user and
>the server use cookies. This includes lots of travel services, shopping
>services, financial services, *and* some information services. Many will
>not work at all without them (they should tell the user this up front, as
>most do). My experience suggests that this is becoming more common.

Yes. This is particularly true of sites using Microsoft's Active Server
Pages (ASPs), in particular Microsoft's own support site. (Try
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb> with cookies turned off to see
Microsoft's advertisement for cookies.)

>Perhaps you should ask your users just what services they are using which
>require cookies? Maybe some services your institution offers assume
>cookies and just didn't mention it to you. If you find that your patrons'
>use is within the legitimate uses of your institution, you probably should
>consider allowing them.

Sure, but do patrons really know whether cookies are required or not? Will
they be able to properly diagnose an error related to cookies being refused?

>Better still, ask why are you *not* allowing them? Have you determined
>that they are a potential security risk? Does disallowing cookies block
>hate group/porno sites? Is disk space at a premium? Is it [cookie
>technology] not very well understood so they're turned off out of fear?
>Is there a policy tat allowing cookies would break? If your reasons are
>within institutional policy and can be supported by said policy, then you
>have no reason to allow them, and you can give a more useful and
>informative answer than simply, "No," when patrons ask.

I don't find any of those reasons very persuasive. But how about this one:
Cookies are used to store people's personal information (e-mail addresses,
site passwords, whatever). In a shared-computer situation, this information
is inaccurate at best, and a violation of patron privacy at worst.
(Although, of course, history and cache contents are even more of a
problem.)

Now that Netscape has released its source code, perhaps there is the
possibility to get a "library-friendly" version of Netscape, which would,
for example, wipe all user-specific information at the end of a "session".
(A "school-friendly" version might even provide multiple persistent stores
for multiple users, with the stores kept on a server.) Any developers
listening?

Rici Lake
Oxfam GB