DBMS Implementation for SQL?

Chuck Bearden cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Fri Jun 5 01:05:56 EDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Shawn W Hall wrote:

> FYI:
> Check out SCO's website for info on an educational discount for thier =
> latest issue of thier "flavor" of Unix. They are selling a CD for $14.95 =
> plus shipping and handleing to both students and faculty. This is no =
> doubt in response to the success that NT has had and Linux's free =
> distribution. The $14.95 SCO Unix and the freeware=20
> PostgreSQL will be under the desired budget limit, not to mention having =
> a industry recognized rock solid "flavor" of Unix.

It's not clear to me that the license terms for SCO OpenServer or
UnixWare will permit one to use it as a database server in a
production environment.  See "Conditions Of Use" at

  http://wdb1.sco.com/clbk_web/owa/freeunix_reg_start_lic_uw

That first clause could be read in at least two ways, and I would want
to be sure what was meant before putting one of the free SCO products
into production.

If anyone knows for sure whether or not SCO may be employed in this
fashion, please send me the answer.

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian
Houston Public Library