Training in non-classroom type situations

Helen Rayner Rayner1H at hadrianus.wcc.govt.nz
Wed Jun 3 22:33:00 EDT 1998

We haven't moved into training the public but have had to overcome the
lack of a classroom with our staff training, combined with the
difficulty of co-ordinating the time for training sessions.

The solution for us has been using written tutorials that people can
work through individually at a time that suits them.  We have been able
to use a classroom to train a group of trainers (one for each physical
site - 12branches and  6desks at our Central Branch), who are available
to answer questions and who co-ordinate the use of the written topics.
We are about half way through our training programme and so far it has
been working well.  The written topics enable people to work at their
own pace and in their own style and provide a resource for staff to
return to again and again.

Helen Rayner
Technology Coach
Wellington City Libraries