Library Lawsuit

Bob Cherry cherry at banjo.com
Mon Jun 1 18:26:23 EDT 1998

At 01:42 PM 6/1/98 -0600, Jeff Bobicki wrote:
>There is the rub. My filter studies have plainly indicated that the
>technology that brings "this world of wonder" to your desk is simply NOT
>capable of providing the level of support to selectively "filter it".

I agree with Jeff.  While working for a global internet provider awhile
back, the issue of filtering and acceptable use policies for the web and
internet came up.  We created numerous test cases and also determined that
while filtering can help, it cannot do what libraries, schools and such
want.  Image files with names like "graphic1.jpg" are not filterable and
other acceptable research and academic subjects were found to be filtered
when, in fact, it was desired to allow access to them.  I'm a techie too
and agree that filtering at the levels desired is not achievable within
the bounds of today's technology art.

Bob Cherry
Internet Network Consultant