Intranet Help

Janet Kaul jmk at Synopsys.COM
Tue Jun 30 14:25:32 EDT 1998

> From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu  Mon Jun 29 12:54:18 1998
> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:55:50 -0700
> Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
> From: Deb Stuart <dstuart at jcls.org>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Intranet Help
>
> Hi,
>
> I am working with a committee that is putting together our first county
> wide intranet and have some questions for the list.  We know (or at least
> THINK we know) the obvious things to post but if you have access to an
> intranet, what are the most important sections that you use?

Mine is corporate, but I can tell you the most used section is the
page we put together on stock information/financial news, and the
employee lookup pages. We also have an internal web research library,
where I've put together collections of links for the areas of the
company such as marketing, legal, engineering, etc. Another popular
spot is the recreation section, with external links to things to
do in the area, how to send electronic flowers, order food, etc.

> Also, do any of your Intranets allow for a personal bulletin board?  I mean
> one where staff could put items for sale, or mention an upcoming non-work
> related event such as a garage sale, or even just announce that "Mary's"
> daughter is selling Girl Scout cookies?

Yup, we use a program called Hypernews (www.hypernews.org, I think).
We have three, one to list lost & found stuff, one to announcement
babies/personal stuff, and one for listing job promotions, exits, etc.
It's free.

> How is the administration of the your intranet handled?  I don't mean the
> technical side, but are there policies that allow anyone to post data or
> only supervisors or department heads?  Do you have disclaimers or standards
> on what is posted?

Everyone has an individual directory, but I have representatives from
each department on a council, and they oversee the official department
pages, as well as doing training, etc. Most of them do it in addition to
their regular jobs. If you can avoid this, do. It took a long time and
some serious dedication to make the executives see that people should
be paid for doing this, or at least given the time.

-Janet Kaul (jmk at synopsys.com)