nasty surprise at AltaVista

Barbara A. Bishop barbarab at world.std.com
Sat Jun 13 20:05:01 EDT 1998

Shirl,

I tried your search and did not get any pop up box, just an ad at the
bottom of the screen, for Microsoft Office 97.   Went to advanced form,
typed in Boolean expression.
Could you say exactly where on the screen the popup appeared?  I teach
Internet searching so am always interested in what is going on with search
engines, results, etc.   Thanks.

While I am not "grossed out" by this advertising business, I find it
annoying and sometimes offensive, even more so when it is poorly matched
with the search.  I guess it's the price we pay for "free" stuff.  The
annoying part is the subliminal suggestion it plants that women only buy
things like feminine hygiene products and the like.  This is no different,
imho, than seeing these ads on TV or in a magazine.  If ads are going to be
popped up, it would be nice to see a car or computer ad pop up in your
example!

I was hoping to duplicate your results and then check "men and purchasing
power!"  Maybe an ad for Gold Bond jock itch powder pops up!