ALERT: Web4Lib is Moving

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 29 17:20:55 EDT 1998

ATTENTION ALL WEB4LIB SUBSCRIBERS:

Tomorrow morning (Thursday, July 30) Web4Lib will be moving from the
library.berkeley.edu machine to sunsite.berkeley.edu. What this means is
that by sometime tomorrow (you will be notified after it happens) you will
need to use the following addresses:

TO POST, send email to:
web4lib at webjunction.org

TO SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE, send the appropriate command to:
listserv at webjunction.org

As soon as the switchover has occurred, the Web4Lib Web site (which will
NOT be moving), will reflect the new commands (so, when all else fails,
read the documentation):

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/

There are a few other things you should know about the changeover:

1) For quite some time, messages sent to web4lib at library.berkeley.edu will
be forwarded to the new address and be posted (but this may not always be
the case, so please change any aliases and habits)

2) Messages sent to listproc at library.berkeley.edu that refer to Web4Lib
will be bounced as errors, as ListProc on the library.berkeley.edu machine
will no longer recognize its existence (and Web4Lib will ignore it, too,
so there!)

3) You will not need to resubscribe (the subscriber list will be moved
intact. Well, except for a few of you...<grin>).

4) You will begin seeing "[WEB4LIB:xxx]" (where 'xxx' is a sequential
message number) in front of the subject of each message. Those of you who
have asked for some way to filter Web4Lib mail should now have the means
to do so.

5) Some of you may have address problems which will prevent you from
posting or otherwise interacting with the ListProc software. This is no
different from the way things are now, as some of you have already run
into this problem and have required our intervention. So, if you are
refused from posting by ListProc, or have any other address problems
during this changeover period, please email me at
rtennant at library.berkeley.edu . Over the long haul, I believe the change
we are making will lead to less problems than we have so far experienced,
but we must first make it through the transition.

6) At some point after the transition, the Web4Lib Archive will be deleted
from library.berkeley.edu. Most of it is already on SunSITE, and after the
transition tomorrow it will all be there and functional. This means that
if you have any links pointing to the Archive beginning with
"http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/", you should change them to begin with
"http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/".

As always, if you have ANY questions or concerns, please contact me at
rtennant at library.berkeley.edu or 510-643-9494. Thank you for your patience
and consideration during this transition,
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner