Staff and change

Avrum Shepard ashepard at well.com
Thu Jul 2 20:59:19 EDT 1998

Money, challenge, and feedback are key motivators.  It doesn't have to be a
lot of money, but some additional amount works wonders.  We paid a teacher
an extra $4,000.00 to serve as the technology integrator for my son's high
school (we got a grant to provide the money).  The volunteer had a little
previous experience with computers.  He became very enthusiastic about the
additional responsibilities and that caught on with the other teachers.
It's a slow process, but you have to motivate people and remember that they
fear change.  I think the major fears are that technology will replace them
and that they won't be able to understand it.  Give them time to adapt and
show them how and where technology can help them.  Let them know right away
when they've had some success.