One Librarian's Story

Katharine McCann Katharine.Mccann at euclid.lib.oh.us
Tue Jul 14 16:43:29 EDT 1998

Wilfred Drew wrote:

> Its interesting to see academic librarians telling public librarians =
> what they should be doing.

I was thinking a similar thing about public libraries and school
libraries.  And really, while we are all libraries(ians), we have very
different needs and aims.  I do think public libraries are more on the
firing line about this because schools do have a way out and academics
don't have the kids and parents thing (for the most part.)

Nor do I think most 15 yr. olds have the sense and sensibility of that
youngster quoted.  But I personally prefer to "hold the vision" for the
rest of the kids that they ARE reasoning, spiritual beings on a journey
through life, who ARE responsible for their lives and educations, and
that I am responsible to find sites and offer sites and suggest sites
and create sites that are interesting and stimulating and absorbing so
the others become more lost in the shuffle.

And if some have been twisted by life to require porn sites, I say, let
them go!  I feel sad for "Spanky," the patron in our library that
everyone giggles about behind his back. The poor guy deserves his space
and privacy, and I doubt it was looking at girly magazines that made him
what he is.

--
KT McCann, Technology Manager
Euclid Public Library, A CLEVNET member