Comment from a 15 year old

Peter Milbury pmilbury at cusd.chico.k12.ca.us
Tue Jul 14 14:06:11 EDT 1998

So, what are we to make of this anecdotal evidence?

> "I know I am entitled to full access to Internet Culture, which includes
> controversial sites. If my parents or anyone else tried to censor me, I
> would find a way around it. This is because of the way my parents have

Fine. If that is how her parents raised her. Hers is not unusual attitude.

But not on our school library computers. Our school district policy does
not allow it, our administration does not allow it, and the library staff
will not allow it.

We don't have enough terminals available in the library for research, let
alone for student browsing of porn websites. Our district policy is based
on practicality and parental wishes.

The ALA doesn't sign my paycheck. The school district does. They set the
standards for how we operate, and I have no qualms about designing our
online program in accordance with their policies.

Peter Milbury                          pmilbury at cusd.chico.k12.ca.us

Librarian-Mentor Teacher      http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~pmilbury
Chico High School, Chico, CA 95926     http://dewey.chs.chico.k12.ca.us
A National Blue Ribbon and California Distinguished School 530-891-3036